Broccoli Garlic Pasta
Broccoli is one of the healthiest foods on the planet. It contains antioxidant nutrients, anti-inflammatory nutrients, detox-support nutrients and anti-cancer nutrients, and many other important chemicals that sustain the health of the human body. Garlic is great for lipid-lowering, anti-blood coagulation, anti-hypertension, cancer prevention and microb elimination.
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- salt to taste
- 1 pound angel hair pasta
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes for garnish, or to taste
- Cut the florets from the broccoli stems into a bowl. Chop remaining stems into small pieces and transfer stems to a separate bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil with butter in a skillet over medium heat and cook garlic in the hot oil-butter mixture, stirring often, until garlic is soft but not browned. Sprinkle in 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes and salt. Pour chicken stock into skillet and bring to a simmer. Stir broccoli stems into the stock mixture and simmer until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add a little water or stock if mixture starts to dry out.
- Stir broccoli florets into skillet and cook broccoli sauce until florets are bright green and slightly tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and stir in angel hair pasta. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta strands are almost tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large pot.
- Pour broccoli sauce over pasta, stir and mix in the Parmesan cheese. Cover pot with a lid and let stand until pasta absorbs excess liquid and finishes cooking, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle each serving with pepper flakes.
Serves: 4; Serving Size: 1 Serving; Per serving: Calories: 570; Calories from Fat: 201; Total Fat: 20.3 g; Saturated Fat: 8.1 g; Protein: 19.9 g; Total Carbohydrates: 67.0 g; Dietary Fiber: 8.0 g; Cholesterol: 33 mg; Sodium: 1034 mg; Sugars: 4.7 g; Vitamin A – IU: 1877; Vitamin C: 150 mg; Vitamin K: 168 mg; Calcium: 211 mg; Iron: 4 mg; Potassium: 837 mg; Thiamin: < 1 mg; Niacin Equivalents: 9 mg; Vitamin B6: < 1 mg; Selenium: 30 mcg (43% DV); Phosphorus: 280 mg (28% DV); Magnesium: 39 mg; Folate: 192 mcg.