Top 5 Stress-Busting Foods
Everybody gets stressed from time to time. Work, huge study loads or simply surviving the morning rush hour traffic can cause feelings of anxiety, fear and uneasiness. One very effective way of fighting stress is with food! Adding some anti-stress foods can actually offer real relief.
Red peepers are very rich in vitamin C, which is known to lower cortisol – the “stress hormone”. In a study in Psychopharmacology, a group of people who took high doses of vitamin C before engaging in stress-inducing activities had on average lower blood pressure and recovered faster from the cortisol surge than those in the control group that got a placebo.
Spinach contains folate,
which produces dopamine, a feel-good brain chemical. A 2012 Journal of Affective Disorders study of 2,800 middle-aged and elderly people found that those who consumed the highest amount of folate had a lower risk of depression symptoms than those who consumed the least.
Chocolate can be an incredibly potent stress-buster. A 2009 Swiss study concluded that eating dark chocolate reduces the levels of stress hormones. It also lowers blood pressure nearly as well as drugs, based on the findings of earlier studies. One thing to keep in mind is that chocolate is a high-calorie food – so make sure you watch your portion sizes.
Flax is very rich in Magnesium known to help relax the nervous system and relieve stress. Research shows that people with low Magnesium levels are more likely to have elevated C-reactive protein levels (CRP). People with high CRP levels are more stressed and at greater risk for depression. Magnesium helps regulate cortisol, and blood pressure.
Comfort foods, like a hot hearty bowl of oatmeal, boost levels of serotonin – a calming feel-good brain chemical. An Archives of Internal Medicine research showed that people who regularly eat carbs felt calmer than those who avoided them. The carb-avoiders reported feeling more stressed.
Want to transform yourself into a healthier, happier person? Discover the life-changing power of nutrition.
Take a moment to imagine yourself being in full control of your health and wellbeing:
- You easily reach and maintain (without starving) a healthy weight because your metabolism is functioning at its optimal level.
- You no longer feel like being run over by a truck - your supercharged thriving body is in excellent shape and your mood, energy and performance are steady throughout the day.
- You know exactly what to change in your diet and lifestyle in order to beat daily stress and anxiety, and sleep more soundly each night.
- You have access to insider secrets that help you keep a healthy low carb diet that is rich in vitamins and minerals known to control blood sugar fluctuations.
- You daily menu is rich in highly nutritious foods that provide omega 3 fatty acids, fibre and vitamin C - all needed to keep your bad cholesterol and triglycerides in check.
- You are in control of your blood pressure thanks to tools that help you track sodium, potassium and other nutrients known to promote better blood circulation